Soccer game

Hard-contested PP and CMS men’s soccer match ends in double draw

Men’s football PP celebrates after a goal last week. Team members praised CMS for maintaining a tie in Wednesday’s game. (Nanako Noda • Student life)

Despite pushing and pulling for 110 minutes, the grueling tussle that formed Sixth Street’s men’s football rivalry on Wednesday ended in a 1-1 draw.

Hosted at Pomona College, the fiercely contested match included several injury timeouts and yellow cards, with the first two warnings coming less than 15 seconds after the opening whistle. Chase Keir CM ’24 received the first for fouling a Sagehen, prompting vulgarity and angry comments from the sidelines.

Half an hour later, Jeffrey Tiglon PZ ’25 scored the game’s first goal in the 30th minute. After a Graeme Logan PZ ’23 cross deflected by a CMS defender, Tiglon was in a perfect position to throw the ball on a low volley into the opposite side of the net.

“It was quite wonderful,” Tiglon said after the game. “I know they are a very good team, unbeaten in the league, so scoring against this type of opponent is very good for me.”

Justin Blachman CM ’23 scored the second and final goal 12 minutes later when Rafael Otero CM ’25 sent a cross which he flew slightly over the goalie’s header.

The goal was Blachman’s fourth in the last three games, but he felt particularly excited about it.

“Anytime you’re in an environment where it’s competitive, those goals just mean a little extra,” he said.

More PP fans arrived for the second half, but they weren’t greeted with goals. Neither team was able to take advantage of late opportunities to gain the advantage. Two minutes before the end of regulation time, the Stags’ Otero led a cross a foot wide from the post that would likely have been put in had he been on goal.

“[Otero’s shot was] such a great attempt to win the game, ”said CMS vice-captain Nate Huntington CM ’21.

About 15 minutes later, as the sun continued to set and wispy clouds and shades of blue, purple, orange and pink filled the sky, the Sagehens had a great opportunity to score at the end of the first extension.

Matthew Carlson PZ ’23 landed a free kick just outside the left corner of the penalty area, but never gave his attempt a chance, pushing it well over the crossbar.

The second overtime saw little, if any, real scoring opportunities. When the final whistle sounded, the Hens had officially ended the Stags’ eight-game winning streak dating back to September 10.

Statistically, the Sagehens dominated the Stags, registering 14 shots against seven for the Stags. Although only one Sagehens shot found the back of the net, PP head coach Bill Swartz was not concerned about his team’s relative inability to score.

“I thought we had chances today that maybe we will grow up, these will come in, but I thought we had done everything we wanted to do as a team,” he said.

CMS head coach Ryan Fahey CM ’08 was also pleased with his team’s performance, although PP ended their winning streak.

“It would have been a little naive in soccer to be really, really confident that we were going to win every game,” he said. “I think we’re still riding. I feel really good with us.

Fahey also praised his team’s efforts, his movement of the ball and his ability to dictate the course of the game.

The Stags and Sagehens will face off again at CMS Pritzlaff Field later this month in what could be another intense battle. Fahey mentioned that the rivalry games “are going to be close” and that Hens’ Tiglon expect the game to be “a good game too”.

On October 20, the teams will attempt to sort out unfinished business and compete for recognition as the top football team. But not everyone is affected by settling accounts.

“They were trying to make it into a rivalry game,” CMS’s Blachman said. “For us, we’re just better than them.”

Correction: A previous version of this article noted incorrectly Rafael Otero’s CM class year ’25 is 2023, rather than 2025. TSL regrets the mistake.