Soccer ball

A Premier League manager angrily threw a football at a child’s head as his side lost their biggest game in decades

  • West Ham manager David Moyes has apologized for an outburst that saw him sent off against Frankfurt.
  • Moyes angrily kicked a ball back at a ball boy, narrowly missing the youngster’s header.

West Ham United manager David Moyes has apologized for kicking a ball in anger as his side were knocked out of the Europa League semi-finals by Eintracht Frankfurt on Thursday night.

Moyes went wild in the 77th minute with the Hammers trailing 1-0, angrily returning the ball to a ball boy who had collected it.

The ball narrowly missed the back of the youngster’s head, earning Moyes a red card.

“I have to apologize for kicking the ball,” the Scottish manager said in his post-match press conference. “The ballboy kindly let it short on the volley for me.

“I apologize. It didn’t touch him, I think I passed him.”

Moyes wasn’t the only Hammer to be sent off overnight.

Trailing 2-1 since the first leg of the semi-final, defender Aaron Cresswell was sent off for an early bath after just 19 minutes at Deutsche Bank Park for dragging winger Jens Petter Hauge past goal.

Frankfurt then quickly asserted their power play when just seven minutes later striker Rafael Santos Borré scored from close range for the game’s only goal.

At the final whistle, thousands of Frankfurt fans flocked to the pitch to celebrate a first European final since 1980.

Despite West Ham’s 43-year wait for a major trophy, Moyes said he was “really proud” of his players.

“The way they played with 10 men was fantastic,” he said after the game. “They stayed. Other teams would have folded and lost two or three,” Moyes said.

“I thought we had better chances than Frankfurt. But we congratulate them. They pass, we don’t and we send them our best wishes.”

Midfielder Declan Rice said he was disappointed not to have reached the final after picking up impressive wins against Sevilla and Olympique Lyonnais en route to the last four.

“The first goal killed the atmosphere in the first game and it’s a mountain to climb from there,” he told BT Sport. “We’re gutted in there. We’ve come so far as a group.”

Frankfurt will face Rangers in the final on May 18.